182. THE ALAN DERSHOWITZ COLLECTION OF DREYFUS RELATED EPHEMERA
THE ALAN DERSHOWITZ COLLECTION OF DREYFUS RELATED EPHEMERA It was reporting on the Dreyfus case that incentivized Theodore Herzl to write his masterful “The Jewish State”, which marked the beginning of modern political Zionism. I have collected material about both Dreyfus and Herzl for many years, and have been inspired in my defense of Israel and the Jewish people by these historical items. Having moved from a large house to a small apartment, I can longer display the Dreyfus collection. I hope it will find a new home and continue to inspire people to defend Israel and the Jewish community” – Professor Alan Dershowitz.
- Dreyfus est Innocent, Rare News Broadside Regarding French-Jewish Army Officer Alfred Dreyfus. Printed, French news broadside, 26.5 x 19 in., mounted on slightly larger linen backing. With two-color heading, Dreyfus Est Innocent, subtitle Les Defenseurs Du Droit, De La Justice Et De La Verite, with Vive La France! / Vive La Republique! / Vive L’Armee! / A Bas Les Traitres! Four corners around portraits of eleven prominent Frenchmen and their quotes regarding the Dreyfus Affair, the central figure being Lieutenant Colonel Picquart. Publisher, as marked along bottom margin: Sceaux – Imprimerie Charaire.
- HARPER’S WEEKLY. From September 9, 1899. 15″ x 21″. Centerfold: THE DREYFUS TRIAL AT RENNES-SCENES IN THE CITY- IN THE COURTROOM AND IN THE COURTYARD OF THE LYCEE.
- LITHOGRAPH FROM VANITY FAIR OF MAJOR ESTERHAZY. 8.5″ x 14″. From the May 26, 1898 edition. Created by Jean Baptiste Guth (1883 – 1921)
- FRONT PAGE OF THE GRAPHIC. From the January 12, 1895 edition. 10″ x 13″. Showing The degradation of Captain Dreyfus for selling military secrets.
- LE RETOUR DE L’ILE DU DIABLE. ENTREE TRIOMHALE A PARIS. 14″ x 21″. Showing the triumphant return of Captain Dreyfus from Devil’s Island. Lithograph by Leon Hayard, 146 rue Montmartre Paris.
- L’AVENIR DU PUY-DE-DOME L’AFFAIRE ZOLA. 17″ X 24″. Indicating the Judgement of the Court of Appeals.
- A PRINT OF DREYFUS BEING ACCUSED OF TREASON. 10.5″ x 15“.
- HARPER’S WEEKLY. From the August 26, 1899 issue. Front cover picturing Captain Dreyfus. 9″ x 15″.
- VANITY FAIR CENTERFOLD. From the November 23, 1899 issue. 14.5″ x 22″. Showing the trial of Captain Dreyfus. With original print commentary from Vanity Fair on Verso
- A TOBACCO CARD WITH A SILHOUETTE OF CAPTAIN DREYFUS. 2.6″ x 1.3″ Made by the Cohen, Weenen company in London. c. 1899.
- THE COVER OF LE RIRE 9.5″ X 12″. Depicting an image of Edgar Demange, Dreyfus’s attorney.
- THE TRUTH ABOUT DREYFUS. A part of Munsey’s Magazine from May 1899 featuring this article by Walter Littlefield.
- LAVIE ILLUSTREE NUMBER 32, MAY 25, 1899. Paris. Featuring many images from the Dreyfus Affair. Complete in good condition. 11″ x 14″.
- THE GRAPHIC. March 5, 1898. 11.5″ x 16″.Page 280 showing the scene at the verdict of the Zola trial.
- HARPER’S WEEKLY. Page 748. Showing the scenes before the Dreyfus trial. 9″ x 15″.
- HARPER’S WEEKLY PAGE 866. From the September 2, 1899 edition. Showing Captain Dreyfus at trial. 11.5″ x 15″.
- LE PETIT JOURNAL. Four editions dealing with the Dreyfus Affair. Including December 23, 1894, September 27, 1896, July 31, 1898, and August 20, 1899.
- LE PETIT PARISIEN. Four editions featuring the Dreyfus Affair. Including January 13, 1895, December 13, 1897, February 20, 1898, July 24, 1898 as well as two loose pages.
- VANITY FAIR. A print of Captain Dreyfus on trial at Rennes. 9″ x 15″.
Estimate $6,000 – 9,000